• Blog

Vancouver and Edmonton Family Law Blog

What happens if I don’t pay child support?

Every parent has a responsibility to financially support his or her child. If this responsibility comes in the form of a child support order from the courts, you must comply with it.

If you are late or miss court-ordered child support payments, you could face a wide range of consequences.

Assets that can have a surprising impact on property division

When divorcing in BC, parties will typically divide family property equally. Often, people focus on the high-value items, like a matrimonial home, cars and retirement plans, as they can hold the most obvious financial significance.

However, there are other assets that can have a surprising impact on the process of dividing property.

Avoid disputes with a solid parenting plan

Parenting after divorce can be a difficult transition. In this environment, disputes may arise between parents. To prevent these arguments from making the situation worse – and to prevent some fights altogether – parents should create a solid parenting plan.

A parenting plan is an agreement in which parents establish rights and responsibilities for each person after a divorce. It essentially serves as a guidebook. To be most effective, your plan should be specific to your situation and include the following elements:

Cutting corners in your divorce can have costly consequences

Divorce can be complicated. It can take more time and cost more money than people expect, which is why people often seek out ways to make the process easier and less demanding. However, not all the methods people seek out are helpful. Some ultimately do more harm than good.

Below are three common missteps people make during a divorce in the interest of saving time, money or energy.

How do we divide property in a British Columbia divorce?

When you end your marriage or common-law partnership, dividing your property can be one of the most contentious elements of the split. Property can represent both a financial and emotional investment, and parties typically want to protect those investments.

As such, disputes can arise. However, by understanding how the process works and what you can expect to receive, you can avoid some confusion and contention.

Four social media mistakes to avoid if you are divorcing

During a divorce, it is easy for parties to let their emotions take control. People often say or do things out of fear, anger or bitterness that they later regret. This is particularly easy to do thanks to outlets like social media.

Social media plays an increasingly common role in the Canadian legal system, including divorce cases. As such, if you are ending your marriage, you may want to think carefully about what you post, share, and like online. More specifically, you should take care to avoid the following four social media mistakes.

Understand your legal options. Make informed decisions. Contact the family law lawyers of Henderson Heinrichs LLP


Did You Enjoy Working With Our Firm?

Review Us

Vancouver Office
1188 West Georgia Street
Suite 1530
Vancouver, BC V6E 4A2

Toll Free: 866-649-7217
Toll Free: 1-844-669-3500
Phone: 604-669-3500
Fax: 604-689-9733
Vancouver Law Office Map

Edmonton Office
10025 102A Avenue NW
Suite 1812
Edmonton, AB T5J 2Z2

Toll Free: 866-649-7217
Toll Free: 1-844-669-3500
Phone: 780-428-0128
Fax: 780-428-1878
Edmonton Law Office Map