Spousal Support: Am I Entitled To Make Or Receive Payments?

There can be a substantial impact on your financial stability when you and your partner decide to separate. Will you be able to make ends meet on a single income? Are you obligated to help your former spouse if you have a higher income?

At Henderson Heinrichs LLP, our legal team will assist you in identifying your legal options to receive or provide spousal support. At our office in the downtown core of Vancouver, British Columbia, we understand the complexities of dealing with support payments as they relate to married and common-law couples.

Are You Automatically Entitled To Receive Spousal Support Payments?

Spousal support payments are not automatic. Payments are determined based on each party’s ability to be financially self-sufficient following a divorce or separation. Factors, such as having been a stay-at-home parent during the relationship or having made sacrifices to advance one spouse’s career, can impact whether you qualify to pay or receive support payments.

At Henderson Heinrichs LLP, our legal team will outline your legal options regarding:

Tailoring A Legal Solution Suited To Your Goals

We appreciate that separation and divorce are not issues the average person has to resolve every day. Without first-hand experience, it can be difficult to understand the various complexities of BC Family Law and how it relates to married couples and common-law relationships (also known as interdependent relationships ).

Our law firm prides itself on helping clients through these intricacies. We take the time to understand your situation and your wants and needs in order to determine the legal options suited best to your unique situation. With our assistance, we will develop a legal strategy that protects your interests and allows you to move forward after a separation.

Learn More About Our Legal Services

Call our firm at 1-844-669-3500 to learn more about how we can help you navigate spousal support laws. You can also arrange a free half-hour consultation with our lawyers using our online contact form.