Vancouver Family & Divorce Lawyers | Henderson Heinrichs LLP

Should I get a cohabitation agreement in BC?

Written by: HHLaw (View All Posts ) Published: November 9, 2022
Categorized: .

If you want to protect property that you are bringing into a relationship, you should consult a lawyer to see if a cohabitation agreement is right for you. If you do not have a cohabitation agreement, after two years of living together, you become common law spouses under the BC Family Law Act and your partner becomes entitled to property and support rights. With a cohabitation agreement, you can modify the default operation of the property division and support obligations under the Act.