What Do I Do If I Want To Divorce Or Separate From My Partner?

If you and your partner decide to end your relationship, it's important that you receive tailored, relevant legal information from the start. Married and unmarried couples (also known as common-law couples, or interdependent relationships) may separate from their partner at any time. However, a marriage is a legal construct, and if you wish to remarry, you will also need to file for a divorce through the courts.

At Henderson Heinrichs LLP, our family lawyers have extensive experience guiding married and common-law couples through the details of ending a relationship. With offices in Vancouver, British Columbia and Edmonton Alberta, our team is committed to advocating for your needs through every step of the process.

The Legalities Regarding Ending A Domestic Relationship

The main concern many couples have is, "will my partner get half of my stuff?"

The answer to that question is different for every couple. Some couples may agree on the terms of their separation and apply for an uncontested divorce. For other couples, they may be in a common-law relationship and need guidance on how B.C. or Alberta laws apply to their situation.

Any issues that you and your partner cannot agree on, our lawyers will assist you with finding a solution. We offer skilled negotiation tactics in settlement discussions, advice and third-party mediation services, and will represent your needs in court, if necessary.

20 Years Of Experience Focused On Your Specific Needs

We know that dismantling the life you have built with a partner is not something you do many times in your life. We also know that you have questions and concerns about how to protect your financial stability, your rights to your property, and access to your children.

Our legal team leverages over 20 years of experience to develop legal strategies that target what matters most to you after ending your relationship.

Book A Free, 30-Minute Consultation Today

Find out how our family lawyers can help you. Call our firm at 866-649-7217 or use our online enquiry form to arrange a free half hour consultation.