• Blog

Vancouver and Edmonton Family Law Blog

Will I receive spousal support if I get divorced?

One common fear people have when they divorce is whether they will be able to support themselves. This can be especially worrisome for people who are financially dependent on their spouse. If you are in this situation, you might not know where you will live or how you will pay your bills.

However, remember that there are legal measures in place that can make it easier to transition out of marriage financially. One possible solution is to request spousal support.

Unmarried? You can still take steps to protect your property

Deciding not to get married doesn’t mean that couples are not committed to each other.

However, if these relationships end, parties can face similar challenges to people who get divorced, including who gets to keep which property. This is especially true for people who own a home or other significant asset. Because of this, it can be wise to take precautions that can protect you and your property if you are unmarried but living (or plan to live) with your partner. One way to do this is to sign a cohabitation agreement.

Religious Influences On Children After A Divorce Or Separation

When a marriage or relationship ends, it can be difficult to determine the roles each parent will play in their children’s lives. Will one parent make decisions? Will the other parent be consulted? Will both parents share the responsibility of making decisions together?

With no answers to these questions, parenting can be frustrating for both the child and each parent. To reduce the likelihood of conflict and toxicity, its important to have a plan in place to discuss how decisions will be made moving forward, such as religious beliefs.

Six Tips For Separated Couples For The Holiday Season

The holiday season can be a difficult time for couples who are separating or have finalized their separation. This is especially true for couples with children, as they will likely be facing their first holiday split between two households. Easing a child's disappointment during the holiday season is challenging but can be done. Here are some suggestions for making the holidays as merry as possible.

Have A Holiday Plan In Place. Nothing brings the impact of separation home to children and parents more harshly than celebrating the holidays apart. Parents should consider hosting the holiday celebrations in alternate years to make conflict less likely, as the child will know every other year they will spend the holiday season with one of their parents.

Dividing Canadian Pension Plans After A Divorce

Canadian Pension Plan contributions may be equally divided between spouses who have decided to divorce or separate. Both spouses did not need to contribute to the program -if only one spouse made payments, the other party may still claim a share.

However, there are certain exemptions that can be applied when dividing a Canadian Pension Plan between spouses.

Bill 28 Will Change Property Division And Child Support Rules

Common-law couples in Alberta will soon be treated in the same way as married couples after they separate. Revisions to the Matrimonial Property Act allowing them access to the same rights as divorcing couples will likely be passed by the Alberta Legislature.

Currently, property division rules for common-law couples are not the same as for married couples. Alberta does not have any law setting out rules for dividing property between common-law couples that separate. The proposed legislation would affect the one-in-ten Albertans - 300,000 people and growing - who live in common-law relationships.

Understand your legal options. Make informed decisions. Contact the family law lawyers of Henderson Heinrichs LLP


Did You Enjoy Working With Our Firm?

Review Us

Vancouver Office
1188 West Georgia Street
Suite 1530
Vancouver, BC V6E 4A2

Toll Free: 866-649-7217
Toll Free: 1-844-669-3500
Phone: 604-669-3500
Fax: 604-689-9733
Vancouver Law Office Map

Edmonton Office
10025 102A Avenue NW
Suite 1812
Edmonton, AB T5J 2Z2

Toll Free: 866-649-7217
Toll Free: 1-844-669-3500
Phone: 780-428-0128
Fax: 780-428-1878
Edmonton Law Office Map