Vancouver Family & Divorce Lawyers | Henderson Heinrichs LLP

Who gets the house when an unmarried couple splits up?

Written by: HHLaw (View All Posts ) Published: November 10, 2022
Categorized: .

If you have been living together in British Columbia for more than 2 years and are spouses under the Family Law Act, then the division of the family home is determined under that Act.

If you are not spouses, then the situation will be determined based on ownership of the property or any agreement that you have made about ownership.