Guiding Parents Through Issues Of Custody, Guardianship And Decision-Making

Parenting can be challenging when a child is split between two homes. Deciding on access, parenting time — even which holidays you spend with your child — can be difficult when parties become frustrated and emotional.

At Henderson Heinrichs LLP, our family lawyers offer objective, practical legal advice aimed at protecting the best interests of your children. Based in Vancouver, British Columbia and Edmonton Alberta, you will receive legal guidance and support from our legal team on how to effectively resolve issues of custody and decision-making power following a separation.

Determining Child Custody

Many parents may not realize that custody does not mean which parent will a child live with. A parent can have sole or joint custody, and still allow their children to split their time between both homes.

In cases where parents are unable to provide care or stability, we also support applications for guardianship over children as well. We also advocate for grandparents and other related parties to have visitation access or, if necessary, custodial rights.

Navigating You Through The Complexities Of Decision-Making

Even if one parent maintains sole custody of a child, the other parent can apply for an order to change this agreement. The same can be said for joint custody. If decisions are not being made in the child's best interests, or if there is a situational change that affects the well-being of your child, the custody order may need to be reviewed.

At Henderson Heinrichs LLP, our family lawyers have extensive experience with resolving children's issues amongst parents. Especially where young children are involved, you will need to interact with each other for a number of years, so clearly defined authoritative roles are crucial to avoid conflicts and toxic situations.

Protect The Best Interests Of Your Child

Find out what legal options you have to parent your child following a separation. Call Henderson Heinrichs LLP at 866-649-7217 or arrange a free, half hour consultation through our online enquiry form.